[Wikimania-l] CD

Daniel Kinzler daniel at brightbyte.de
Thu Aug 11 10:46:41 UTC 2011

On 11.08.2011 12:42, Roan Kattouw wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Béria Lima <berialima at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is not for "no reason", they just think all of us are looking forward for
>> the possibility of live in the "dream land" that is America, and can't
>> believe we would come back after be there[1].
> This is not as exaggerated as it may sound. When someone applies for a
> nonimmigrant visa or visa-free entry, the consular or immigration
> officer is required by law to assume immigrant intent (i.e. assume
> they intend to stay forever; the opposite of assume good faith I guess
> :D) unless the applicant can convince them otherwise by showing
> binding ties (job, education, house, family, those kind of things,
> reasons why you'd come back) to their home country.

Interestingly, this is quite similar, though converse, to what it was like to
get out of East Germany[1]: the officer would assume you intended to stay out,
and you had to show binding ties that would make you come back.

it's a strange world.

daniel

[1] I'm told. I was quite young then, and living in the West.