[Wikimania-l] CD

Manuel Schneider manuel.schneider at wikimedia.ch
Wed Aug 10 11:14:55 UTC 2011

Am 09.08.2011 19:48, schrieb James Hare:
> On Aug 9, 2011, at 7:06 PM, Deryck Chan <deryckchan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> PS. For those of you who have yet to fly out of Israel: it's a good idea to have a password / Android lock etc. on each of your electronic devices, so that they can't check their content except in front of you.

> I don't know anything about a Wikimania CD, but I do have a security related question. I brought a USB flash drive with me, since I usually keep one handy. Yet there is no way for me to plug it into my computer to verify it's a flash drive because I didn't bring a computer in the conventional sense (I brought my iPad which has no USB port, sadly). Will this be an issue?

I had a USB flash drive with me, no questions asked.

In general don't suspect too much ;-) I had the "luck" to be selected
twice, after x-raying my luggage prior to check-in and at the normal
security check for hand-luggage.

Both times they extremely carefully checked everything I had in my
luggage, two persons with this special cloth wiping aover everything I
had. It took some time (ca. 10 minutes each) but no problem at all.

They wanted me to open my computer, OLPC and mobile phone but only so
they could wipe all the surfaces. They never requested anything to be
switched on. I am pretty sure that they are in no way interested in any
data I have with me.

I was interviewed thoroughly because I had those stamps from Jordan in
my passport. Why I went there, when, how long, what I did there, where I
stayed, if I knew somebody there. Answered that easily, no problem at all.

I was there 2 hours prior to my flight (flight was at 11:55, I arrived
at 9:45 but had to take the shuttle to Terminal 1, so I arrived there at
10:00) and still had more than 30 minutes left - even though I needed
two shuttles between Terminal 1 and 3 and the two sepcial interrogations.

So don't worry ;-)

/Manuel
--
Regards