[Wikimania-l] [Foundation-l] Floating a notion: permanent Wikimania committee?

phoebe ayers phoebe.ayers at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 19:01:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 21 June 2010 19:54, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There have been post-mortems every year (with varying degrees of
> > formality and levels of participation); these have resulted in a
> > handful of private reports to the Foundation & within the org team
> > (and many more sets of informal notes). Basically, every year the
> > organizers have sat down, sometimes with other people and sometimes
> > not, and talked about the conference afterwards; ideally this gets
> > written up. I personally have four sets of these notes tucked away in
> > various notebooks, documents, etc....
> >
> > What there has never been is a publicly available report, or summation
> > of these meetings, that anyone ever got around to posting for the rest
> > of the world to see -- I think that's the part where exhaustion comes
> > into play :)
>
> The idea of a post-mortem is to learn for the future, so it isn't
> really worth having one if you don't publish the results for future
> teams can learn from them.

It's actually also useful for all the people involved to have a final
discussion about what has happened; and the results of these conversations
have gotten translated in various ways: to the bid criteria, to the
documentation that is being built on meta, to the structures that the WMF
has set up for supporting Wikimania, etc. But I am not disagreeing with you
-- at all! -- that a formal public post-mortem report after the conference
would be very helpful. I'm just explaining what has actually happened in
practice :)

-- phoebe