[Wikimania-l] Wikimedia Foundation filming in Gdansk

Florence Devouard anthere at anthere.org
Wed Jul 7 23:40:21 UTC 2010

Read again...

Extract "

We'll shoot mostly in English, but you'll be encouraged to add responses in native or other languages as well.

Ant

On 7/8/10 1:27 AM, Lodewijk wrote:
> hey Jay,
>
> thanks a lot for the heads up! Just one question: will the
> conversations only be in English, or will you also be asking questions
> in mother tongue? (or allow people to answer as they like). Combining
> the two, asking both to answer in English and mother tongue, would
> give some interesting opportunities when you want to roll something
> out on a more world wide level - and it would allow people to more
> freely express what they feel without having to translate in the mean
> while etc - which might limit them.
>
> best,
>
> lodewijk
>
> 2010/7/8 Jay Walsh <jwalsh at wikimedia.org <mailto:jwalsh at wikimedia.org>>
>
>     Hi folks,
>
>     For those who might not know me - I manage communications for the
>     Foundation, here for my third Wikimania!
>
>     Some of you may be aware that the Wikimedia Foundation is
>     undertaking a small production here at Gdansk this year, largely
>     to coincide with the presence of so many of our project
>     representatives from around the world.  The intention of this
>     filming is to produce a bank of footage of our project
>     participants, and more specifically to produce a series of short
>     videos that will help show the faces and personalities behind our
>     projects. Much photography and video exists of our community, but
>     this is the first time we're working to produce something of
>     significant, studio-style quality that everyone will be able to
>     use. We'll be asking some basic questions about how the projects
>     work, particularly Wikipedia, so we can have interesting
>     perspectives and practical knowledge - first hand from the
>     contributors - to use for a variety of purposes.
>
>     The final videos will be CCBYSA, of course, and the timing of
>     their release (late August, early Sept) should help us with some
>     major upcoming milestones, specifically the 10th anniversary of
>     Wikipedia, our next major fundraiser, and efforts to both bring in
>     new editors and to provide a short, simple, and very good video
>     that portrays some of the people behind our movement. We hope the
>     videos can also be subtitled and localized by and for chapters and
>     other groups interested in supporting the Wikimedia projects.
>
>     Over the three days of Wikimania you might be approached by me or
>     one of a few staff or volunteers to share 10-15 mins of your time
>     to tell us about yourself and your involvement with the projects
>     on camera.  The questions will be very simple - no special prep
>     needed, just your honest answers and enthusiasm.
>
>     This is of course 100% voluntary, and because we're filming just
>     off-site of the main venue (we've set up a small studio at the
>     adjacent Maritime Museum), it will only involve those who wish to
>     be filmed. This isn't a video project focussed on Wikimania
>     specifically, rather on the people of the projects, and why and
>     how you participate. A few other visiting video/media crews may be
> [...]

Florence Devouard
http://www.devouard.com
http://speaker.devouard.com

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (Stephen G Tallentyre),
The Friends of Voltaire (1906), as a summation of Voltaire's beliefs on freedom of thought and expression.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Evelyn_Beatrice_Hall