[Wikimania-l] Local phone numbers for communication

Manuel Schneider manuel.schneider at wikimedia.ch
Wed Jul 7 07:11:31 UTC 2010

Hi Peter,

when you arrive at Gdansk Glowny (main station) there is a Orange shop just across the street, a bit right you see a shopping mall, there next the entrance to the mall.

The offer a prepaid card that allows usage for both phone calls and internet. They sell the SIM with 20 zl in the account for 20 zl.

If you just need a SIM for phone calls better go with Play which you can get very easily and which are most used among Wikimaniacs.

For Orange what you have to do is:
* tell the guy at the entrance that you want to buy the POP prepaid card with the "FREE" offer for mobile internet
* he will give you a ticket with a number, the number will be called when it is your turn to proceed to the counter
* after they have registered your SIM card (no ID or anything needed!) you will receive an invoice which you have to pay upstairs at the cassier desk
* back at the counter you get your SIM card
* ask the person at the counter to do the initial call to the operator for you to switch the language from polish to english, then all subsequent messages (also operator messages like your account balance) will be in english
* you should send a SMS with "FREE" to 3033 to activate the special FREE offer with 0,01 zl per 100 kb.
* you will receive the APN configuration as SMS, the PIN is 1234 (not documented  I had to brute force that)

The whole process took for me about 20 minutes, the SIM was activated instantly.

/Manuel

-- Urspr. Mitt. --