[Wikimania-l] Airport Pickup

James Owen jowen at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 2 15:50:52 UTC 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 8:37 AM, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:

> On 02/07/2010 11:09 AM, phoebe ayers wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I am not on the official logistics team so I cannot tell you
>> exactly where
>> to go when you arrive. But I can give you a little bit of general
>> gdansk
>> travel information:
>>

> Thanks, Phoebe, that's appreciated.  It's the first time I travel to a
> location where I do not speak any of the local languages so basic
> expectations are useful to have (how much to expect paying for a cab
> amongst them).
>
> How likely is it that people involved in trourism (cabbies, hotel
> staff,
> restaurants) speak basic English or French?  I'm generally fairly good
> at improvising enough of a pidgin to get by if I have a fair
> expectation
> that I have at least some vocabulary in common.
>
> -- Coren / Marc

Marc,

I visited Gdansk briefly in April before the Chapters Conference and
found it an easy city to navigate.  For most everyone once you are in
the city center walking will be your primary mode of transportation.
For some of the dorms it might be a slightly longer walk (25 min or
so) but the small and beautiful nature of Gdansk makes the walk feel
much shorter.

While visiting Gdansk I met with 9 hotels and went into several
restaurants.  English is not as fluent in Gdansk as it would be in
urban and western European cities, but I had no major problems
communicating or getting the appropriate message across.  Hotel staff
were mostly fluent in english and always willing to help. In
restaurants I found a lower percentage of English speakers, likely
around 50%, higher in the more tourist traveled areas and lower in
more local restaurants.  The same was true for taxis so it might be
useful to write down the address for the driver in advance of getting
in a cab.  An additional suggestion for anyone who might need to go to
a pharmacy is to speak with a staff person in your hotel before going
into the pharmacy, have them write down the polish words for your
symptoms or the medication you desire, over the counter drugs are sold
through the pharmacist so you will need to clearly communicate your
ailments.

I look forward to seeing everyone next week, safe travels.

Regards,
James T. Owen

James Owen
Executive Assistant