[Wikimania-l] 2010 Wikimania bids

phoebe ayers brassratgirl at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 17:36:59 UTC 2008

Indeed, it is time to get on with it! If only we had a Wikimania
dictator to decide these things :) (just kidding!)

What do people -- especially the current bidders -- think of the
approximate timeline Aude gives? I think closing on Feb 1st would be a
little too early, but what about closing mid-February? Is that enough
time? Or should we push it to the end of February, giving two months
from now to improve the current bids and come up with any new ones?

Then judging I think realistically takes about a month -- hopefully
not as long as last time, but it does take time to schedule community
and private meetings, read through all the documentation, ask and
answer questions, etc. So that would make a decision by the end of
March or so, which if we are planning to have a July/August conference
again means the local team has 15 months to plan. By that time, the
2009 program and planning process should be under full steam as well.

I would like to see plenty of time in the bidding process for new bids
to be developed from scratch -- if there are any out there that people
have in mind but haven't put on meta yet -- and for the existing bids
to have plenty of time for local team meetings, recruiting local
volunteers, having preliminary discussions with venues, etc. and in
general having enough time to really put their best foot forward.
Especially from past and current bidders -- how long is reasonable?

Finally, if you have ideas or questions about the bid process -- or
really wikimania in general -- or you want to help out with something
specific, don't be shy about posting on meta or on this list. This is
still a volunteer-driven process.

best,
phoebe