[Wikimania-l] Call for translation of CFP

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 14:17:26 UTC 2007

Any File schreef:
> On 3/5/07, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> and she suggested
>> if we could use sitenotice to call for translators.
>>

> Setting a note in the sitenotice it is not an easy thing. Actually I
> do not know if there is a sitenotice that can be set globally on all
> project.
>
> Sitenotice change should be asked to the community of each project and
> requires an administrator to do the change (I think that a steward can
> also do that, but this  can rise nasty objection - do you remember the
> discussion for the sitenotice during the fundraising?)
>
> For the moment what I suggest is to announce on the translation list,
> on pgae about translation on meta and on as much as possible Village
> pump pages (or how they are called on the various project),
>
> In my opinion it could be request to add a note on the sitenotice to
> ask people to read the Request_For_Partecipation or to register to
> Wikimania, but not to put a not to ask to translate a page.
>
> And if any request is made, it is important that this is approved in
> every required place and agreement for that reached. (this to avoid
> the very common discussion)
>
> AnyFIle
Hoi,
How do you propose that this is negotiated with projects in 250
languages ? The issue is that there is a need for cooperation in all
languages. Having the possibility to get the necessary attention is what
is called for. Having a never-ending struggle of getting attention for
translations needed for a Foundation comunication is exactly what
prevents proper communication.

The projects cannot have it both ways; there is either sufficient
collaboration on translations and if there is not, this collaboration
can be actively sought or there is no way that communities can be or
will be informed about WMF communications. When the WMF lays down the
law on an issue, the notion that it has not been translated is no excuse
when a community does not help in the translation from English.

The notion that there are people who object has always been true. Is it
a reason to prevent necessary information to go out to the communities ?

Thanks,
    GerardM