[Wikifa-l] eastern farsi and western farsi

Mohsen Salek mohsensalek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 11:16:54 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:08 PM
Subject: Re:
To: Mohsen Salek <mohsensalek at gmail.com>

Hoi,
You will have noticed that even though for all intends and purposes a
project like Wikinews is to be applauded for the Farsi community, I have not
changed the status of the proposal to "eligible". The problem I have is that
the fa code is ambiguous and I have informed my fellow members of the
language committee that as far as I am concerned the code for a new project
in Farsi should be "pes". The reason for this is that fa or fas has been
made a macro language, this macro language includes Dari or "prs".

Now in the language committee there are some who disagree with me. I told
them that I will not change projects administratively unless the codes used
are unambiguous. As I am not the only member of the language committee,
those members who disagree with me could have changed the status..

So the situation is:

   - I am in full support of a Farsi Wikinews project
   - There is a situation with the code used for Farsi

I am interested to learn what you think of this impasse.

NB Farsi is not the only language that has this problem..
Thanks,
      GerardM