[WikiEN-l] Encyclopedia of Life passes 1 million pages

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Sat May 26 20:13:39 UTC 2012

On 26 May 2012 21:07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 2012 21:02, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was tempted enough to join this site, but actually producing
>> anything is difficult. It reminds me of h2g2.
>

> Do tell, please write up the process in detail.

Well, exactly. I went to the site, noticed that the article
"bandicoot" comprised a poor picture of some bandicoots, and joined
expecting to splurge in some CC stuff from the Wikipedia article.
First I had to join (most people wouldn't bother). Second, I now
realise that I can't just splurge some stuff into a predefined format.
There is some lovely taxonomic stuff on the Wikipedia article, but it
would take me ages to figure out how to transfer it to eol. And the
WIkipedia version would _still_ be the most authoritative, so why
bother?