[WikiEN-l] "How the Professor Who Fooled Wikipedia Got Caught by Reddit", _The Atlantic_

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun May 20 22:22:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM, David Levy <lifeisunfair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
>
>> Oh c'mon, even the updated terms of use allow for limited
>> vulnerability testing which is not *unduly* disruptive.
>
> Firstly, that text pertains to "probing, scanning, or testing the
> vulnerability of any of our technical systems or networks".  It has
> nothing to do with article content.

I understand this.  I brought it up as something analogous.

> Secondly, if we *were* to condone such experiments, they shouldn't be
> devised and implemented unilaterally.

Being devised and implemented unilaterally is the only way to get
accurate results.

> As discussed in this thread, it
> isn't clear that Gwern's parameters are likely to yield useful
> information, so this might amount to nothing more than random
> vandalism.  Imagine if hundreds or thousands of editors took it upon
> themselves to conduct such "experiments" without consulting the
> community or the WMF.

Removing 100 random external links?  For a few weeks?  Then adding
back the ones that deserve to be added back?  Okay, I'm imagining
it....  Sounds like something that would improve the encyclopedia.

> As Gwern (User:Gwern) continues to edit the English Wikipedia (today
> concluding a different "experiment") and appears to have stopped
> participating in this discussion (thereby ignoring questions about the
> acknowledged vandalism), I agree that the account and associated IP
> addresses should be blocked until such time as a promise to cease the
> disruption and evidence that the damage has been repaired are
> forthcoming.

[rolls eyes]