[WikiEN-l] New experiment running on English Wikipedia

Steven Walling swalling at wikimedia.org
Thu Jun 7 21:56:18 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

As announced on the Village Pump,[1] the "editor engagement experiments"
team has just launched our first project on English Wikipedia. We've done
some small-scale experiments prior to this,[2] but I wanted to share this
here, since this is our first one modifying the interface in any way.

The basic gist is that for one week starting today, some half of visitors
to a small selection of articles (a little under 3,000) will see a new
timestamp that tells them when the page was last edited. It will show up in
the upper right, aligned with the title and to the left of any icons like
the FA star or protection lock. It also links to the history.

This isn't a huge change, but we hope that by more prominently highlighting
the changing nature of articles, we can show more people what's going on in
the wiki, as well the fact that some articles badly need updating.

Thanks, and please let us know if you see any bugs.

--
Steven Walling
https://wikimediafoundation.org/

1.