[WikiEN-l] on citing Wikipedia in U.S. court opinions

Newyorkbrad newyorkbrad at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 15:54:33 UTC 2012

I've collected a few of these over the years, in preparation for an article
I've never found the time to write ... here's another example from earlier
this year where the majority and dissenting opinions differ over
the propriety of a Wikipedia citaiton:

http://www.nycourts.gov/reporter/3dseries/2012/2012_02069.htm

Wikipedia is cited in footnote 3 to dissenting opinion (see the very end of
the decision).  The majority opinion responds that "as of yet, Wikipedia is
not recognized source material for serious jurisprudential analysis."
(Caution: the facts of the case are unpleasant.)
Newyorkbrad