[WikiEN-l] UK hospital doctors using WIkipedia sensibly

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Wed Apr 25 12:30:21 UTC 2012

> http://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2012/04/doctors-use-but-dont-rely-totally-on-wikipedia/
>
> "According to recent research that has been shared with Wikimedia UK,
> use of Wikipedia for medical information is almost universal among a
> sample of doctors. Many of them praise its accuracy, but they are
> aware of its faults and that it needs to be read critically.
>
> The investigators conducted an online survey of medical staff at two
> large hospital trusts in England. Nearly all the 109 responses
> included free-text comments."
>

> - d.

I think using Wikipedia in that way is an effective learning process as
you encounter new information and develop ways of evaluating it. The
doctors that edit, perhaps 5%, are the ones who benefit from doing more
reading and research. I suspect our medical articles are pretty much
written by the medical community.

Fred