[WikiEN-l] Fwd: The counterattack of the PR companies

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Wed Apr 18 22:29:49 UTC 2012

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012, Charles Matthews wrote:
> Sorry, this is exactly the point. The conversation where we explain very
> patiently to someone what our definition of COI is and is not; and the
> response is "you're telling me that if I sail close to the wind on NPOV but
> don't quite go over the line, then whatever my potential conflict of
> interest is, then I'm not breaking your rules". That conversation is
> exactly why the whole business is arcane _to people who think they are paid
> to sail close to the wind and get away with it_. E.g. people with good
> legal advisers who are smart enough to listen to the advice and understand
> the fine print.

If someone tells you to drive at 5 miles under the speed limit rather than
to drive at the speed limit, he may be trying to keep you from getting too
close to a line.

If someone tells you *not to drive at all* rather than to drive at the speed
limit, that no longer has anything to do with "getting close to a line".
He's just making up his own rules.