[WikiEN-l] "Corporate Representatives for Ethical Wikipedia Engagement"

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:56:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 7:24 PM, George Herbert
<george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Under existing BLP and notability policy, we have criteria for article
> existence/non-existence.  If the subject makes or can be helped to
> articulate a case under that policy that they shouldn't have an
> article, then the reasonable thing to do is to run it up the AFD
> flagpole and see if others agree.  If they object but can't make a
> case under the policy, then it's a case of trying to make sure they
> understand Wikipedia's goals and policies and standards, even if they
> end up disagreeing with some of them. ...

George, the point is some people don't want to have a relationship
with us, and I don't think we should force them.

Please imagine how you would feel if Facebook opened an account under
your real name, against your wishes, then added to the page whatever
factoid it could find about you in local papers and records, and even
wanted to track down your birth certificate and use Freedom of
Information against you. Then when you explained it was making you
ill, Facebook staff appeared on the page, called you an idiot in
public, and said your complaints had succeeded only in drawing more
attention to you.

That's basically what we're doing to people, and as with all things
reactions differ. Some are flattered, some don't mind, and some get
upset. It's not for us to say which reaction is correct, and that the
upset people are being irrational.

Sarah