[WikiEN-l] "Corporate Representatives for Ethical Wikipedia Engagement"

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 18:03:20 UTC 2012

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2012, at 9:34, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:
> I didn't pull this out of thin air, after all--I was replying to someone
> who, with complete seriousness, said that we shouldn't delete a BLP because
> Wikipedia is an encyclopedia.

I did not say that, not even vaguely. Normal deletion under established criteria is fine, including attack articles and non-notability.

We should not let BLP subjects whitewash Wikipedia at will. Them not liking having an article, once legitimate BLP issues are cleaned up, is unfortunate, but does not trump that we are an encyclopedia.

We should not make a fundamental goals and values change just because a few people are offended at being biographically notable or have a bug up their butt about the project. Long term vocal unhappiness does NOT invalidate the reasonableness of the existing balance point.

Tweak maybe, throw out no, and yes, those seeking to throw out have gone off the rails.