[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia article on [[Santorum (neologism)]]

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Wed May 25 14:23:24 UTC 2011

On 25/05/2011, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Okay, now we are getting somewhere.

> These templates are all new creations by Cirt, the Santorum article's main
> author. They were created between 10 and 15 May, shortly after Santorum
> announced he might run for President, and then added to all the other
> articles listed in the templates, thus creating a couple of hundred incoming
> links, and enhancing the article's Google ranking.
>
> Now, *that's using Wikipedia for political campaigning.*

To be fair, we don't actually know it's having any effect at all, and
it could be *lowering* the ranking for the article by sending its
juice off to other articles around, averaging and diluting it down.

My point was only that we probably shouldn't be doing anything, even
accidentally, that would be likely to change its link juice over what
it naturally gets. If it's fairly naturally at the top of the google
listings, and we haven't done anything odd, then that's perfectly
fine.

--
-Ian Woollard