[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia article on [[Santorum (neologism)]]

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Mon May 23 20:56:48 UTC 2011

I'm skeptical that we should have an article.

The reason: Wikipedia is on the Internet.  If Wikipedia has an article
about something whose promoter specifically intends to spread it on the
Internet, it is impossible to separate reporting from participation.  It's
a loophole in the definition of neutrality that doing things which help
one side of a dispute doesn't break neutrality, simply because our
intentions are neutral--even though our effects are not.

This brings to mind GNAA.  GNAA is a troll group who intentionally gave
themselves an offensive name so that even mentioning them helped them troll.
Wikipedia had a hard time getting rid of the article about them, because
we can't say "by using their name, we're helping their goals" in deciding
whether to have an article.  It was finally deleted by stretching the
notability rules instead.

And in a related question, I'd ask: Should we have an article "Richard Gere
gerbil rumor"?  (As long as our article describes the rumor as debunked, of
course--otherwise we would be directly violating BLP.) Some of the
justifications for that and for this sound similar.