[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia article on [[Santorum (neologism)]]

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon May 23 02:56:55 UTC 2011

On 23 May 2011 02:24, Brian J Mingus <brian.mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure about the history of this article, but it it was recently
> brought to my attention via Facebook.
>
> My take on this article is that it is an abuse of Wikipedia's notability
> guidelines. The article goes out of its way to cite lots of sources, but I
> do not believe that being mentioned in the mainstream media is both a
> necessary and sufficient condition for notability. In this particular case
> it sounds like someone with a lot of name recognition used that name
> recognition to get media attention for their smear campaign. This media
> attention was then used to justify a Wikipedia article. This is an excellent
> reductio ad absurdum case that brings a boundary condition of our notability
> guidelines to light. It is, quite frankly, manufactured notability and IMO
> it does not deserve an article.

Lots of things have manufactured notability.  Just about every band
you've heard of for example. It's called marketing. Given the ah
extensive coverage the word and the issues surrounding it have
archived it's as least as article worthy as some of the articles on
obscure islands I've written.

> When you Google for Santorum's last name this Wikipedia article is the
> second result. This means that people who are looking for legitimate
> information about him are not going to find it right away - instead we are
> going to feed them information about a biased smear campaign rather than the
> former Senators BLP.

Google's search results are entirely their business.

--
geni