[WikiEN-l] NPG copyright irony

Scott MacDonald doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 20 16:43:21 UTC 2011

After the confrontation between Derrick Coetzee and the National Portrait
Gallery, I thought people would enjoy this irony.

I wandered on to this page of theirs on John Michael Wright:

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/person.php?search=sa&LinkID=mp07767
&role=art&wPage=0

Hm, that description of Wright sounds familiar I though. Unsurprising
really, since *I* wrote it.

It is taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Michael_Wright which is
mainly my work.

Of course, the only note on the page is C National Portrait Gallery, London
2011. No mention of Wikipedia on CC licence unless I've missed it.

Which means, they are engaged in intellectual theft. Or have I missed
something?

Can I sue them? And they seem to have taken other work from Wikipedia. I
wonder if this is quite deliberate.

Scott