[WikiEN-l] Tsunamis and disaster articles

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 00:02:16 UTC 2011

On 15/03/2011, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> However, it seems a bit of a mess at the moment.

In a sense, but it's deliberate.

> There are other disasters that take the form of causative event
> followed by an effect that causes the most destruction. The two
> examples I've seen used are Hurricane Katrina, where the storm surge
> and flooding caused most of the damage (though almost any hurricane
> that size that hits land will cause a storm surge and flooding) and
> the firestorm that can take hold after some earthquakes (notably the
> 1906 San Francisco Earthquake).
>
> On other words, tsunami are not something that occur by themselves.
> They are caused by something, and I'm not sure that the currently
> evolving practice of tacking tsunami onto the end of the title of
> articles about the causative event is the right approach.

The Wikipedia's approach is that article titles are not systematically
generated; they're determined by how they're best known, which is
often fairly arbitrary.

If you try to make article titles systematic it actually makes things
harder to find, because most people use terms to search that the topic
is best known by, by definition.

--
-Ian Woollard