[WikiEN-l] Koch brothers articles doctored says Think Progress

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Tue Mar 15 22:39:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Ian Woollard wrote:
> The thing is, it takes a conspiracy within the Wikipedia's rank and
> file to bias an article significantly over a long period; otherwise
> normal editing and then RFCs and so forth will tend sort it out.

Yeah, that Siegenthaler thing was corrected in a few hours.  And the Brian
Peppers one was deleted immediately.

Believing that there is no such thing as a biased article on Wikipedia is
an excessively optimistic point of view.  It doesn't take a conspiracy; it
just takes a group of editors willing to push the bias through, and maybe
an admin or two willing to look the other way because it's not worth the
trouble (also see: spoiler warnings).  I suppose you could call anything
which involves more than one editor a "conspiracy", but it's not a conspiracy
in the sense of backroom meetings and evil plans to deliberately mess things
up.