[WikiEN-l] Koch brothers articles doctored says Think Progress

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 22:17:27 UTC 2011

The thing is, it takes a conspiracy within the Wikipedia's rank and
file to bias an article significantly over a long period; otherwise
normal editing and then RFCs and so forth will tend sort it out.

If it remains sufficiently inaccurate then the target will kick up a
big fuss; initially within the Wikipedia, and then other places like
Wikipedia Review and eventually in the press. The more people that
look at the bias, the less sustainable the position of the conspiracy
becomes.

On 15/03/2011, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, The Cunctator wrote:
>>> Oh, certainly, left wing blogs are attacking the Kochs. And awareness
>>> among
>> hard-core political activists and junkies is probably pretty high.
>
> There you go.
>
>> But we're talking a very small percentage of the US population.
>>
>> There are only a few thousand regular editors on en.wp. There really
>> aren't
>> that many people who edit Wikipedia. And [[David H. Koch]] for example is
>> semi-protected. So we're talking about a handful of editors.
>>
>> There are big differences between the hypothetical potential pool of
>> people
>> capable of editing Wikipedia, the pool of people interested in doing so,
>> the
>> people with the experience and ability to do so effectively, etc.
>
> It's true that only a certain number of people would bias a Koch article
> against the Koch's.  It's also true that this can be said for virtually any
> article where there is danger of political bias.  By your reasoning nobody
> should ever have to worry about political bias anywhere on Wikipedia.
>
> Some people do like to believe that no outsider should ever worry about
> political bias on Wikipedia.  If so, there's not much I can say to convince
> you except to point out that you have an inflated idea of how well Wikipedia
> works.  But if there's ever any article which is a valid concern, surely
> the Koch article has to be one of them.  It's a BLP on a subject that is
> routinely the target of the left; about the only way it could be worse is
> to be about Obama or Bush (and those are so high profile that the danger is
> probably less, anyway.)

-Ian Woollard