[WikiEN-l] Templates and old page versions

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 15 22:07:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

>> Does anyone know which mediawiki page produces that warning, so I can
>> suggest changing it?
>
> MediaWiki:Revision-info

Thanks. Looking at the talk page reaction to long-winded messages, I
can see it will be difficult to get anything changed, but I do think
that there should be something saying that old page revisions
(depending on whether templates or images are used) may not be showing
what you would expect them to show (i.e. the page as it appeared at
the time it was edited).

How about:

"This is an old revision of this page, as edited by $2 at $1. It may
differ significantly from the current revision. Furthermore, if
transcluded content was present at the time of editing, the old
revision shown below is unlikely to be an accurate representation of
the page as it appeared at the time of editing."

Longer explanation:

"If this old revision included templates, images, or any transcluded
content at the time of editing, the dynamically generated page below
will show a mixture of the old revision and the current version of the
transcluded content. If the transcluded content has changed, then the
old revision will not be showing the page as it appeared at the time
of editing."

Carcharoth