[WikiEN-l] Koch brothers articles doctored says Think Progress

David Goodman dggenwp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 04:59:45 UTC 2011

It is possible to provide arguments against the reliability of any
source whatever. (And in the other direction, it is possible to take
most sources and selectively quote them to provide evidence for
support for any position whatever.) It is possible to destroy the
integrity of any article by concentrating on finding weaknesses in the
sourcing combined with careful use of sources that appear reliable,
but are not really to the point. Even a single person doing this can
work havoc, and if this is done in a concerted way, it provides ample
scope for the expression of bias.   The cruder forms of this technique
are of course widespread in politics--they tend not to work well in
Wikipedia, but slightly more sophisticated use of the method can be
quite successful unless the opposition is equally determined.

Conventional advice that we can can deal with this by applying NPOV do
not solve practical problems, for the question of what is neutral and
what is balanced and what is fringe are always to a considerable
extent matters of opinion. Neither do comments that we can deal with
everything by applying BLP strictly, for not only do most articles on
contemporary topics to some measure involve BLP, but in any case this
simply shifts the argument to what falls within the BLP rules. If you
move the goalposts, the arguments will follow. Wikipedia is written by
humans, & the assumption that the  individual prejudices will always
cancel each other is easily falsifiable.

This has been seen outside of politics. The two currently pending
requests for arbitration both deal with this type of sourcing problem
as the underlying issue.  In my own view, they are both tending
towards   inequitable resolutions.