[WikiEN-l] Article Feedback - Ramp up to 10% of Articles

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 08:08:11 UTC 2011

On 27 July 2011 08:34, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> On 07/16/11 4:42 PM, Dan Dascalescu wrote:

>> After rating an article, there is this link asking "Did you know you
>> could edit this page".

> Just saying that is not enough to inspire people to edit.

It turns out it is:

http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/07/15/%e2%80%9crate-this-page%e2%80%9d-is-coming-to-the-english-wikipedia/

"The feature brings in editors. One of the main Strategic Goals for
the upcoming year is to increase the number of active editors
contributing to WMF projects.  The initial data from the Article
Feedback tool suggests that reader feedback could become a meaningful
point of entry for future editors.

Once users have successfully submitted a rating, a randomly selected
subset of them are shown an invitation to edit the page. Of the users
that were invited to edit, 17% attempted to edit the page.  15% of
those ended up successfully completing an edit.  These results
strongly suggest that a feedback tool could successfully convert
passive readers into active contributors of Wikipedia.  A rich text
editor could make this path to editing even more promising.

While these initial results are certainly encouraging, we need to
assess whether these editors are, in fact, improving Wikipedia.  We
need to measure their level of activity, the quality of their
contributions, their longevity, and other characteristics."

- d.