[WikiEN-l] Millions for salaries, not one cent for defense

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 01:21:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Mark <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> But I haven't seen any evidence of their leadership
> having that kind of vision.

Fun facts: according to their 2009 IRS filing*, their income was $53
million. $23 million went to JSTOR employee salaries/compensation. The
president makes >$500,000 and the executive vice president >$320,000;
I'd list the various other managers making >$200k, but there's like 10
of them.

The expenses section is quite fascinating.

- IT in general costs them no more than $4.3m
- They spent $1m on 'travel' and another $312k on 'Conferences,
conventions, and meetings'
- "journal acquisition & scan" costs $4.8m
- "NITLE TRANSFER"** costs $4.4m
- "fees & publisher payments"*** cost $8.3m

* http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2009/133/857/2009-133857105-06a32823-9.pdf
linked from http://www2.guidestar.org/organizations/13-3857105/ithaka-harbors.aspx#
** 'title transfer'? Have no idea what this is. Hopefully such a
colossal sum is buying something worth buying, like copyright to
entire journals and it's just a misleading label.
*** Am I reading this Form 990 right? Are they *really* spending 3
times more on their employees than is going to the publishers, or they
spend on *all* their technical initiatives, scanning and servers and
all? I am reminded of the WMF budget.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net