[WikiEN-l] Missing Wikipedians: An Essay

Kath O'Donnell aliak77 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 01:00:54 UTC 2011

hi, I joined WP a while back but only started editing this week. I found it
a little confusing where to start to learn the 'rules' so I was jumping
around from article to article a bit. then during the week I received a
welcome message with some links, which I found useful, and I can go return
to.

would a big button on the top of the homepage saying "tutorial" or "editors
start here" or "share your knowledge & skills" or something obvious help? (I
think so - I like the share term, people love to share) & this page has a
list of useful links for new users. because when I see the homepage (as a
new user), I see lots of large headings, and one small text 'anyone can
edit'. if having people join in & edit is the main aim (is it?) then I think
this needs to be highlighted more on the homepage - at the top of the page,
so people don't need to scroll to see/find it.

& maybe a default 'welcome & useful tips message' in your user/Talk page
when you create a new account which has links / std info too? (eg how to +
the 'be bold' article + more) (now I've starting posting useful pages to my
user page so I can come back to them)

& maybe a buddy or place you can say, hey I made these changes, can you
check my work pls for the first couple of times to make sure you're doing it
correctly? (I did find a welcome project somewhere but I lost it again as I
forgot to note the link)

I think when you're new, if you don't start using it straight away then
you'll probably move on.
anyway a few ideas
cheers
kath