[WikiEN-l] Rating the English wikipedia

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 16:19:57 UTC 2011

On 15 February 2011 04:33, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 February 2011 04:00, Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyway, so I stop there. Even 40 million appears completely
> > unsupportable. It looks like it's off again by about another order of
> > magnitude.
>
> Oh really?

Yeah, really. That page claims we only have 3% of notable Poles. Are you
really, seriously, telling me we only have 3% of ALL notable biographies???
Because that's what that page is assuming to calculate that 40 million.

> People have been keeping records for a long time. Western Europe has
> very comprehensive records going back 200 years. More patchy records
> strech back about 8000 years.

Yup.

> When you consider the number of politicians, military leaders,
> aristocracy, industrialists, sportspeople, scientists, writers,
> artists, musicians, performers and general hangers on there have been
> in that time it's quite a lot of people.
>
> How many is probably impossible to calulate.

It's not impossible to calculate, you look at the counts from an
encyclopedias of famous people. And they very typically list historical
people as well as living people.

--

--
-Ian Woollard