[WikiEN-l] Rating the English wikipedia

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 15 11:22:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 4:33 AM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> We can establish a lower
> bound since the Thomson-Gale's Biography Resource Center contains over
> 1,335,000 biographies.

The 2007 edition of the ODNB (British biographical history) has
"50,113 biographical articles covering 54,922 lives". What criteria
are used for the Thomson-Gale's Biography Resource Center? We don't
have an article on that, though we do have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biography_and_Genealogy_Master_Index

"The Biography and Genealogy Master Index (BGMI) was a printed
reference index, and is currently a proprietary database published by
the Gale Research Company. The database indexes more than 15 million
individuals, living and deceased, covered in more than 1700
biographical reference sources."

It that something different?

http://www.gale.cengage.com/servlet/BrowseSeriesServlet?region=9&imprint=000&titleCode=BDMI&edition

Carcharoth