[WikiEN-l] Rating the English wikipedia

Fences&Windows fences_and_windows at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 20:04:46 UTC 2011

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 03:16:12 +0000
From: Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com>
Subject: [WikiEN-l] Rating the English wikipedia

>This encyclopedia has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
>This encyclopedia has been checked against the following criteria for
>B-Class status:
<snip>
>2. Coverage and accuracy: criterion not met (currently 3.5 million
>of an estimated 4.4 million articles)
<snip>

You think there are only 4.4 million possible topics? Based on what criteria?
Stevertigo also thought this in the essay Wikipedia:Concept limit, which I
tagged as [citation needed]. There are probably tens of millions of potentially
notable topics, if not hundreds of millions. However, we're better at deleting
new articles than writing them and writing a new article that will survive these
days requires more detailed research than in years gone by.