[WikiEN-l] Most wanted

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 7 19:41:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk> wrote:
> On 7 February 2011 17:46, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:KCwithOL
>>
>> That template alone accounts for hundreds of links. Uncollapse the
>> sections to see how many there are. Maybe there should be a limit to
>> the number of links allows in a single template?
>
> Are we not risking throwing the baby out with the bathwater, here?
> whatlinkshere is a useful tool, but so are large templates - limiting
> the latter to benefit the former seems a bit of a zero-sum game.

Oh, if there was a way of separating out the links from the templates
from the other links, I'd have no problems with it. But at the moment,
try going through the list here and tell me which come from the
template and which come from elsewhere?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:WhatLinksHere/Fritz_Bayerlein&limit=1000&from=0

In extreme cases, I've come across articles linked only from templates
and not from anywhere else. They *should* be linked from other
articles (i.e. from the actual text of other articles), but the
template links swamp things, meaning you can't see the problem.

Carcharoth