[WikiEN-l] Most wanted

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 7 01:34:27 UTC 2011

On 07/02/11 10:56, Carcharoth wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Magnus Manske
> <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Many of these links are due to templates, which I can do little about.
>
> Can *anyone*, even in principle, do something about that? It really
> bugs me that the "what links here" function doesn't distinguish
> between links arising from templates (often not directly relevant) and
> links directly from the article wiki-text. If the answer is something
> to do with parsers, please do explain!

Yes, it's possible. It was necessary to register links from templates
in the pagelinks table so that when a page is deleted or created, the
HTML caches can be updated so that the link colour will change. With a
schema change and some parser work, it would be possible to flag such
links so that they are optional in "what links here".

-- Tim Starling