[WikiEN-l] Tabloid sources (was Wikipedia leadership})

Mark delirium at hackish.org
Sat Feb 5 18:38:17 UTC 2011

On 2/4/11 6:08 PM, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
> "I do not permit any of my students to cite your encyclopedia as any
> kind of reliable source when they write papers for me. Wikipedia is too
> much a playground for social activists of whatever editorial bent wherein
> the lowest common denominator gets to negotiate reality for the readers.
> No thanks."

I run into these kinds of reactions fairly frequently, but honestly I
don't see how they're in tune with reality. There at least seems to be a
bit of knee-jerk reactionary sentiment going on (and among academics,
some turf-defending and credentialism).

I certainly encourage my students to read Wikipedia, though I also
encourage them to follow up the sources and consult alternative sources.
There are indeed "social activists of whatever editorial bent", but
that's true of academic presses as well! A well-developed Wikipedia
article in my experience is less likely than an academic book to
completely ignore a large number of sources; academics are much more
willing to decide "field X is crap" and ignore it entirely, e.g. if you
look at how economists treat critical theorists and vice versa (and how
economists treat economists from rival camps).

Consider, say, our article [[History of U.S. foreign policy]]. It could
be better, certainly could be more detailed (though some sections point
to more detailed separate articles), but it's not bad overall imo. It
covers some opposing views, both in terms of historiographic disputes
and political disputes. Now compare it to a recently published Princeton
University Press book on the history of U.S. foreign policy, "Empire for
Liberty: A History of American Imperialism from Benjamin Franklin to
Paul Wolfowitz". The book is of course more detailed than our article,
and includes some excellent material that we should cover. But if you
were to ask which one is influenced more by "social activists" and which
one more neutrally covers conflicting views of U.S. history and foreign
policy, we beat the book by a large margin!

And it's hardly an isolated example, if you look at the list of recent
publications by academic presses, there is a whole lot of social
activism going on. Not that that's even necessarily bad; academic
presses don't serve the same role as an encyclopedia. But it's strange
to criticize Wikipedia from that standpoint!

-Mark