[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Leadership (was NY Times article on gender gap in Wikipedia contributors}

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 5 12:16:25 UTC 2011

--- On Sat, 5/2/11, wiki <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> From: wiki <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com>

> If we really wanted our core topic articles to be at FA
> standard, we'd need
> to adopt a totally different process. One where a writer
> was allowed to
> start from scratch and write a new article, and then
> demonstrate to the
> community that it was superior to the existing one. Good
> writers with
> expertise are always going to find it highly unattractive
> to begin with the
> mess they find, and argue with ignorance and POV pushers
> for every change
> they wish to make. That process will tend to drive experts,
> or indeed
> careful research/writers off.

Precisely. FWIW, this is what I recommended to the scholar I mentioned
earlier (who has written several books on the Jehovah's Witnesses): Go
ahead, announce your intention on the article's talk page and at the
relevant WikiProject, write the article, and then present it to the wider
community for adoption.

I assured him that Wikipedia would welcome the article, once it was
formatted and referenced correctly, over the likely objections of both
the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Witness-bashers frequenting the article.

I haven't heard back from him ... :)

If we want to have scholars contributing, this is an option that has to be
on the table.

Andreas