[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Leadership (was NY Times article on gender gap in Wikipedia contributors} - repost

Stephanie Daugherty sdaugherty at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 16:05:17 UTC 2011

so this leaves this proposed council with a responsibility to mediate
policy disputes and the authority to decide a deadlock in favor of a
strong majority based on strength of arguement and core values
(openness transparency etc) - this would basically end up being a
fairly weak system especially if the council members had their own
veto in council decisions and the community kept a power of referendum
to undo any council mistakes. The only danger i see is some people
will no longer be assured of the ability to derail consensus in favor
of status quo. Whether or not we want to give them authority to close
debate is well debatable but even with that we wouldnt be creating
another jimbo but rather an extension of the existing community
governance.  As for secret ballots we already elect a much more
powerful and perhaps more dangerous body by secret election and those
are the community reps to the board so i think it is a viable and
proven system.