[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Leadership (was NY Times article on gender gap in Wikipedia contributors}

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 14:54:33 UTC 2011

on 2/1/11 11:12 PM, George Herbert at george.herbert at gmail.com wrote:

> Consensus is the method which was chosen for Wikipedia to determine
> things (in general).  Raw majority voting (or supermajority voting)
> was intentionally not chosen.
>
> It's entirely fine to point out that this leads to existential angst
> over what consensus is, means, or how anyone ever determines it.  But
> that's what we do, every day for the last 10 years.  Something worked,
> at least some of the time.
>
> You're looking for a deeper meaning (fair) and a way to legitimately
> and concretely get approval for changes (fair to ask for) that gives
> you an answer you feel was unambiguously arrived at.
>
> We have no guarantee that the last clause will ever be satisfied under
> the consensus system.  Some issues are uncontroversial and it's not
> really challenged that consensus exists.  Some issues are very
> controversial, and calling the consensus either way is ambiguous.
>
> I understand and acknowledge that the ambiguity is a pain point for
> you.  That is the system, for better or worse.  There is no magic
> wand.

George, your equivocation surprises me. My assessment of the Wikipedia
"consensus" process remains the same. And your implied suggestion that it
works because Wikipedia is still here and going strong: you are mistaking
size for strength, mass for solidity. Wikipedia's structure may be massive,
but it is by no means solid. My prognosis if some basic lifestyle changes
aren't made: Poor.

Marc