[WikiEN-l] NY Times article on gender gap in Wikipedia contributors

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 1 02:20:29 UTC 2011

Truth is, I'm not even sure I want to get into this. And, for the record,
this inquiry concerns only the English Wikipedia Project. I spend 99% of the
time I have to devote to the English Wikipedia Project at editing articles;
the other 1% being spent on the Mailing Lists. So, consequently, I know very
little about the authority structure that exists in the Project. But
something that has been bothering me for some time now; something that has
been touched on very cautiously at various times on this List; and something
that I firmly believe is at the root of many of the problems that have been
discussed on this List (and elsewhere) for some time now. What is the actual
chain of authority that now exists in the Project? This I am certain of:
Sue Gardner is the Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation. Just like
any corporate structure, her line of authority is clear enough. The
Foundation oversees (my term) and provides the technical equipment and
funding to operate the Project. Is there a similar "structure", "line of
authority" or "buck stops here" entity within the English Wikipedia Project.
Would, could, someone please help me to see and understand it? I need some
basics here so that I can take part in any discussion.

Marc Riddell