[WikiEN-l] The viable competitors to Wikipedia.

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 11 09:49:33 UTC 2011

On 10/04/2011 20:44, geni wrote:
> Thing is their business model appears to be to start with $50 million
> of funding and proceed to hire whoever you need to write your
> encyclopedia.

And there is no particular reason why paid staff couldn't be a viable
route to a competitor. But that sounds like the annual budget. And I
suppose the assumption is that doing content in English is enough. You'd
have to sell a lot of advertising and/or subscriptions. There probably
is a niche, at least, for a general encyclopedia that libraries would
willingly pay for, written professionally. Would that worry us?

Charles