[WikiEN-l] The viable competitors to Wikipedia.

Martijn Hoekstra martijnhoekstra at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 17:40:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 8:26 PM, David Goodman <dggenwp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've also suggested this, calling it  '''Wikipedia Two'' - an
> encyclopedia supplement where the standard of notability  is much
> relaxed, but which will be different from Wikia by still requiring
> WP:Verifiability, and NPOV. It would include the lower levels of
> barely  notable articles in Wikipedia, and the upper levels of a good
> deal of what we do not let in.  It would for example include both high
> schools and elementary schools. It would include college athletes. It
> would include political candidates. It would include neighborhood
> businesses, and fire departments.  It would include individual
> asteroids. It would include anyone who had a credited role in a film,
> or any named character in one--both the ones we currently leave out,
> and the ones we put in.  This should satisfy both the inclusionists
> and the deletionists. The deletionists will have this material out of
> Wikipedia, the inclusionists will have it not rejected.
>
> But it would be interesting to see a search option:
> Do you want to see everything (WP+WP2), or only the notable(W)?
> Anyone care to guess which people would choose?

While I agree with the general idea (I would love for example an
[[Obscure:]] namespace) we need to make sure that WP:V, and especially
WP:Synth is guarded vehemently. We need to keep thinking about what
Wikipedia is, and it is WP:NOT, and keep actively thinking about if
that is still what we want it to be, and act upon it.