[WikiEN-l] How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 8 07:24:04 UTC 2011

On 04/07/11 11:37 AM, Sarah wrote:
> One of the key skills that Jimbo brought to Wikipedia was knowing when
> to be hands on, and when not. If you look through the early mailing
> lists -- not just the very early ones, but the first few years --
> that's the thing that shines through again and again. If I had to
> point to one issue that made Wikipedia successful it was this ability
> to steer without micromanaging.

  This is an important observation.  It contrasts with some of his later
efforts at wading into controversial issues.  These have often seemed as
drive-by efforts by someone who was not completely up-to-date with the
matter at hand.  These would generate more controversy in an already
dirfficult issue that just needed time to be worked through.

Ec