[WikiEN-l] How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 01:15:07 UTC 2011

On 8 April 2011 01:03, Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com> wrote:
> You should be careful what you wish for. It's not hard to make a
> 'viable competitor' encyclopedia that would be so corrupt and
> inaccurate it would make the Fox News network... look like a news
> network. And if it was glossy and facile enough, plenty of people
> would probably be dumb enough to use it.

One thing that should probably be considered is that from the
competing POV wikipedia does 2 things.

1)It provides information to people on general interest topics (for
broad values of general interest)
2)It provides a plece for people to write articles on general interest topics.

We've received both competition and attempts at competition in both cases

In case 1 competition comes from Britannica and the million and one
aps for viewing wikipedia on your phone.
In case 2 competition attempts include knol, citizendium and more
successfully hoodong

--
geni