[WikiEN-l] What proportion of articles are stubs?

Horologium user.horologium at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 20:21:58 UTC 2010

   From: MuZemike <muzemike at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] What proportion of articles are stubs?
> To: English Wikipedia<wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>
> And that's another problem that I am seeing more and more of. Call it
> simply being lazy, unable to write actual prose, or a combination
> thereof; but there are so many articles that get created that have only
> one (likely unsourced) sentence, a pretty infobox, a pretty navbox, a
> table, categories, and what other (stub) templates there.
>
> I would claim that infoboxes are the biggest culprit in that they are
> being substituted for "actual prose". If an article creator only has one
> actual sentence of prose to put forth, that is not much, and I would
> claim sheer laziness in the article creator's part.
>
> Especially with these stubs on locations, when you cannot provide any
> more information on a location than what would normally be presented in
> an organized list or even an atlas or map, one wonders if writing about
> a location in the form of an encyclopedia article is the most efficient
> way to go.
>
> -MuZemike

Another thing to consider is that not everyone can write in English, but
they *can* take an article from the wikipedia in their language and bash
something together in English, and if they can fill in the data from a
standardized infobox, there is an article which provides a lot more than
[[foo]] is a town in [[bar]]. It's not necessarily laziness if there is
a lack of prose in an article.

I don't speak Polish, Italian, or Swedish at all, and not much French or
Spanish, yet I have managed to create a couple of US city articles on
all of these wikipedias. (By way of example, six of the other language
Wikipedia articles on [[Sebring, Florida]] were started by me.) All of
them have an infobox, a weather chart, and appropriate categories, a
mention of [[Sebring International Raceway]] and the [[12 hours of
Sebring]] (which usually already had articles), and many of them have a
translation of the Rambot boilerplate paragraph (if had had been
translated on another US city article, which allowed me to plug in the
correct numbers), and include links to the US Census Bureau population
estimates data as references. While it is not much more than an atlas,
it *is* more, and once the article is created it is easy for other users
to expand it.

-Horologium