[WikiEN-l] cleaning up the Kosovo geographic names

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 19 15:38:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

>>> I think we'll have to have two lists for a while, as, according to one
>>> strongly held point of view, Kosovo remains part of Serbia. Our
>>> selection
>>> and naming of articles should not attempt to resolve an international
>>> political issue.
>>
>> OK, well then it is a tolerated POV Fork. a exception to the rule. I
>> have no problem with that,
>> so what do you think about making the Albanian names of Serbian (and
>> Kosovo) towns list, that should be also tolerated according to the
>> existing pages. I would be happy with that, at least it would give our
>> Kosovo team something that they would be happy to do,
>> can I get some support for this idea?
>> thanks,
>> mike
>>

> I'd focus on places in Kososo, although Belgrade, doubtless, has an
> Albanian name which is in use. The article should probably include both
> names and be a guide to the reader with respect to alternative
> Serbian-Albanian place names.

I am not worried about belgrade, but lets see. I am working with the
GNS names, they are a solid reference.
http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/cntry_files.html there are 25 names
outside of Kosovo listed there in Macedonia, Serbia, and Montenegro.

I converted them with my perl script and posted them here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requested_articles/Social_sciences/Geography,_cities,_regions_and_named_places/Kosovo/Region_Surrrounding

This one peak , it is technically outside of Kosovo, there is no gns
entry for it, but the Albanian wikipedia lists it, that is why I found
it today. According to the talk page it has been in discussion for a
while.

thanks,
mike