[WikiEN-l] cleaning up the Kosovo geographic names

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 19 09:50:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
>> Here is another prime example of how the user is misled when using the
>> english wikipedia.
>> lets say you are looking for Maja Pançiq, you wont find the article,
>> because someone commented out the name in the article
>> Pan%C4%8Di%C4%87%27s_Peak. Just because albanian is not an official
>> language in central serbia, they say. First of all, there are many
>> albanians living in that area, and second of all, the point is listed
>> as a border point between Kosovo and Serbia in the GNS database. We
>> cannot have a dysfunctional wikipedia, we need to contain both names
>> and make it possible to navigate.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan%C4%8Di%C4%87%27s_Peak
>> thanks,
>> mike
>>

> You are, of course, correct, assuming the mountain has a commonly used
> name in the Albanian language, whether it is on the border or not.

The name is common, it is listed even in the albanian wikipedia,
http://sq.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maja_Pan%C3%A7iq
It is on wikimapia
http://wikimapia.org/7522941/sq/Maja-Pan%C3%A7iq
listed in wikibooks http://sq.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tokajon/Fjalorthi

It has 32 results on google, and at least it should be mentioned.
The point is that we are forced to monitor all changes all the time
because some editors have a bad habit of POV deleting data, it is
reoccurring and very annoying.

thanks,
mike