[WikiEN-l] The Editor as Artist

MuZemike muzemike at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 00:41:20 UTC 2010

Some comments:

1) People from the outside tend not to look at the insides of how
Wikipedia works, such as actually reading the policy/guideline pages
such as WP:OWN.

2) Sometimes, I get the feeling that the author is being slightly
sarcastic in tone, though I do believe that Wikipedia is not a creative
writing contest, and that NPOV and fiction-writing guidelines assure
that we don't do that.

3) Assuming she is not sarcastic, she is absolutely right about the
WP:OWN policy and how it most accurately describes how a wiki should
function. That is, wikis give freedom for anybody to add, change, or
even delete content as seen fit; on the same token, people should expect
what they write, or portions thereof, to be added upon, changed upon, or
even removed if they don't exactly fit.

Moreover, it is amazing to see, through using a relatively easy
interface like a wiki, that even a small group of people can come
together and build, maintain, and hone encyclopedia articles into
informative, accurate works of information. I remember many instances in
my lifetime, such as collaborating on a mission statement for
organizations or, even in a couple of instances, school districts, in
which there are many unnecessary arguments or even fights over how such
statements should be worded - complete with the fact that only one
person is in charge of writing and that communication is closed, all of
which are addressed in wiki environments.

4) Go WikiProject Video games!!!!!!!!!

-MuZemike