[WikiEN-l] Update on the Public Policy Initiative

LiAnna Davis ldavis at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 7 16:45:54 UTC 2010

Hi all,

First off, I want to introduce myself: I'm LiAnna Davis, the
communications associate for the Wikimedia Foundation's new Public
Policy Initiative. The Initiative is a new project where we will work
with professors at public policy schools in the United States to
incorporate improving Wikipedia articles into the curriculum for their
courses.

We will experiment with different methods of using Wikipedia as a
teaching and learning tool in universities and ways to provide
incentives and support participation by students, teachers, and
Wikipedians. The goal of the project is both to improve public policy
content during the duration of the project and also to produce
information and infrastructure that could inform the design and
development of a long­-term sustainable model.

We're finalizing our list of professors who will be participating in the
Initiative for the fall, so stay tuned for more information about that
-- but at the moment, we're in the middle of an article assessment
drive, and we encourage everyone to join us. Our on-Wikipedia home is
the WikiProject United States Public Policy
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_United_States_Public_Policy),
and we've started a challenge
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_United_States_Public_Policy/Challenge)
to tag and assess as many articles relevant to our project as you can.

We're using a more detailed assessment model (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_United_States_Public_Policy/Quality_rating)
to meet the quantitative analysis needs of our project. Over the last
few weeks, we've had great collaboration with several editors who have
already joined our project on the first few drafts of our metric. Please
join us help work out the bugs as we put it into action.

We're also looking for Campus Ambassadors and Online Ambassadors,
experienced Wikipedians who can help students in the courses navigate
editing Wikipedia. Campus Ambassadors (more info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_United_States_Public_Policy/Campus_Ambassadors)
are people who can physically be at the schools; Online Ambassadors
(more info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_United_States_Public_Policy/Online_Ambassadors)
can participate from anywhere.

I encourage any editors interested in U.S. public policy or using
Wikipedia in the classroom to join our WikiProject and help out.

LiAnna

--
LiAnna Davis
Communications Associate - Public Policy