[WikiEN-l] Related places tool

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 31 17:11:20 UTC 2010

Hi all,

just toolspamming my latest...

I read the announcement for "Britain Loves Wikipedia", was sad to find
no museum in or immediately around my place participates, and tried to
look for the nearest one. Harder than it sounds, if you're not very
familiar with British geography.

So I wrote a tool to show all "related" places.

First, you need a wikipedia page that links to all the objects you are
potentially interested in. I quickly made [1].
Then, go to my new tool [2] and enter that location there. Click on the button.
Then, you get a link to a google maps page (shortened at [3]).

Which is when I realized there is potential for more. Wanna see places
important to The Beatles? Go [4]!

Enjoy!

Magnus

P.S.: I couldn't quickly figure out how to do the same for
openstreetmaps. If anyone could point me to that...

P.P.S.: Yes, using backlinks are an option as well. Is there interest in that?

[1] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/User:Magnus_Manske/BLW
[2] http://toolserver.org/~magnus/related_places.php
[3] http://tinyurl.com/ycncg2f
[4] http://tinyurl.com/y92rgo2