[WikiEN-l] Administrator coup / mass deletions

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:06:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 2:45 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Running a mass deletion does have the unfortunate effect
>> that there's no time for anyone to scramble for sources, which folks
>> will do at least some of the time if given a chance. On the other
>> hand, if *all* unsourced bios are deleted, at least no one can claim
>> theirs was singled out for deletion! And hey, it gives a clean slate
>> to start with (she says, somewhat tongue in cheek).
>
> You're right that these are all very bad problems.
>
> Pure Wiki Deletion would be an elegant solution to this, and many
> other similar snafus.

You and Abd ul-Rahman are right about that.  While PWD is simple and
effective, its very lack of process means that it can be less
satisfying for frustrated editors (an important engine behind
passionate bulk actions).  I wonder if there is some way to get the
best of both hard and soft solutions.

PWD also gets harder as speedy deletion criteria expand; now articles
are sometimes speedied because they are blank.

SJ.